Friday, March 6, 2009

Yet another baby update

I had my 34 week appointment yesterday. I'm only measuring 4-5 weeks ahead now instead of 6 (gee, that's great), so I'm going to get another ultrasound next week so they can measure the baby again. The further along you are in pregnancy, the less accurate the ultrasound is because baby gets more squished in there. At my last ultrasound the baby's head was measuring further along than the rest of it was, which isn't surprising because both Troy and I have big heads. And both of us were delivered with forceps! The genetic pool definitely isn't working in our favor: two parents who were big babies with extra-big heads.

At my 36 week appointment we'll probably come to a decision about labor based on the ultrasound and some other measurements the doctor will take. I asked him if he thought it was likely I would need a C-section. He didn't really want to say at this point, but I could tell he's kind of leaning in that direction. I'd like to know either way so I can prepare mentally.

I've obviously been thinking about the pros of cons of a C-section vs. a natural child birth. I can be kind of an anal detail-oriented person, but I'm trying to be as open as possible to either possibility and to trust that my doctor will want to do what's best. He said he doesn't like to perform C-sections, so hopefully he'll only encourage me to have one if he's convinced the baby will be too big. I've heard many stories of people who thought they were having a 10 pounder and got induced or had a C-section only to have an average-size baby. That would be a bit frustrating. Plus, when you think about your first birth, you don't think of scheduling it before hand, you think of the drama and excitement of timing your contractions or waking up in the middle of the night when your water breaks and rushing to the hospital. But I can't control how much the baby will grow in the next month, or if the ultrasound will be accurate, so I really just need to put it in the Lord's hands and know that whatever happens, soon we'll have a new baby (with a big head)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Anderson, IN, United States
We're daily figuring out how to be parents, love the Lord and serve Him with all we are.

Followers